- I travel alone most of the time. Being alone gives me the space to discover things at my own speed. It gives me the freedom to do what I want. Don’t get me wrong, I also travel with other people but the experiences would not be the same. I find everything more intense when I am alone on the road.
- I buy a book (mostly a novel in English) whenever I am in another country. This allows me to roam endlessly in different bookstores to enjoy the atmosphere and to see what kind of books local people read. Last purchase was in St. Louis, USA, January 2015: Best American Short Stories 2014. Quite a good read.
- I send postcards to my family, friends and myself. In most cases I send them just before I have to leave because I want to recapitulate and summarize everything in a few sentences.
- I learn the basics of the language spoken in the country that I visit: this gives me the chance to talk to locals. One of the best parts of an adventure in another country! Tip: YouTube is a very good source.
- I take a picture of an apple with the visited place in the background: it gives me the feeling that NYC is always with me wherever I go.
- I don’t have a plan when I travel: having plans will not allow me to enjoy randomness which I love every much. In fact, it’s randomness that makes a journey more interesting.
- I walk most of the time: walking is the best way for me to discover a foreign place. Period.
What about you, fellow travelers? Any special behaviours when you are on the road?